In the last few years, we have gained awareness of the various needs and psychological services Melbourne that individuals with mental health issues need in order to achieve overall well-being. Many times, we talk about the importance of medication, individual counseling, family counseling, and socialization. Those are all of the extreme importance when it comes to mental health but the one service that seems to be forgotten is care management. A lot of people attribute care management services to individuals who are aging or who have chronic medical conditions. Although care management can be very helpful for those issues, we also see a huge need for intense care management for individuals who have a chronic mental illness and cannot get access to any services.
Why does an individual facing any kind of major mental illness needs special care?
It is not a secret that severe and persistent mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and major depression can require intense care management and advocacy of psychological services Melbourne providers. The duties of a mental health care manager include:
- Acting as a connector between the individual and the community resources
- Advocating on behalf of the individual so that he or she gains access to needed quality services
- Overseeing the care of an individual including medication management, doctors’ appointments, therapy, psychiatric services, and anything else related to their care
- Connecting the client’s family to support services such as individual, family, or group counseling
- Being an advocate if there is need for hospitalization to ensure the safety of the client and their family members
- Facilitating access to needed benefits
- Assisting the individual with navigating all the different services so that it does not become overwhelming for them
- Crisis intervention
- Alleviating family members of some stress regarding the care and well being of their loved one
- Coordinating for advanced planning for the individual
- Connect individual with social services and programs
- Any service that the person may need the care manager will make that connection.
As psychological services Melbourne professionals in the field of mental health, we see that families with loved ones living with a mental health condition often want an immediate and instant fix for their family members. It is important for them to keep in mind, that mental illness is a lot like a physical illness that needs constant care. This is not to say that you cannot live a normal life with a mental illness however extra care is needed. In addition, as family members, it is important to remember that you also have a vital role in the recovery of your loved one. The more involved you are, the more likely your loved is to recover.